Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday - Day 2 "Pray to the gas gods"

471 miles
7 hours driving

Hola,

We hit the road around 9 today.  Mary drove first!!  yay!  Decided to take Hwy 8, so we swung past San Diego and headed east.  For a while we were parallel to the US/Mexico border.  What a trip - it's a large black fence.  When you look at it in the distance, it looks like a large black snake, slithering up and down the sandy hills... for miles.

Mary continues driving.  :o)  We switch later on at a random exit on the hwy.  Mary takes a nap and Linds is just strolling along, enjoying the drive....  Looks at the dash - gas light.  I won't tell you how many miles the odometer read because it was over the norm.   

Lindsay's head: "oh, S***"
I didn't wake Mary for about 10 miles because I was busy praying for a gas station in this deserted AZ desert hwy.  I was very thankful I have AAA (wink, wink) and I thought I was going to have to use it.  Finally, the red line hit the thick-white last gas line and I had to ask her how fast it had been going down all day?  (needed help)  Making a long story short - it was down to the wire.  We were trying to Magellan the closest gas station.  i hear Mary read, "11 miles" - not going to work for us....  Then, she returns it to the map picture (because I was literally wondering what it felt like to run out of gas (on a highway!) at this point and I think Mary could tell I was trippin'!!!!)  and the miles on the Magellan started reading 1.8 miles with green arrows pointing to take a turn.... then 1.6... I was like - Mary!! is that a count-down???  She replied "not sure" - trying to remain calm.  ("Count-down for what? the Magellan knows how fast I am going, can they read gas?" I wondered.)  Then comes the sign - Exit 151.....(next sign)...food & lodging............(next sign)........GAS!!!!!  Bingo baby!  Just in the nick of time.  

Made it to Tucson!  Heading out of AZ, through New Mexico tomorrow and into Texas!  3 states, one day.  

Kitties are (knock on wood) being amazing.  Not a peep out of Richard - he just chills all day in his carrier.  Lyric's is in the middle of the back seat and we opened her door today.  Much better!  She came to the passenger and crawled back into the case a few times.  Here are some pics.
Feel free to leave me comments!  :o)  
linds
DONE WITH THE POD!!

in Dana Point, Laurel, Mary & Linds

Check out the arrow.  It's pointing to us, and the border of US & Mexico.  Note: we were only going 71 mph. 
Road Trip!!

I'll log in from Texas tomorrow!  :o)  Cheers!  ~linds

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Ok Linds you're cracking me up. ya might not have been a good thing to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Well sounds like you guys are just chugging along. Hey have you listened to my mixes :-) Hope the next few states are good ones!!

Mr Met said...

Almost out of gas. That's an old line if I ever heard one. Mr. Met thinks you picked up a hot passenger at one of the stops along the way!!!

Rocky Boy said...

Wow...2 days and in Tx already!! Go Lindsay Go! Hope your having a blast! TJ